Oral cancer is, by far, the most serious oral condition that can affect us. It is characterized by the growth of cancerous cells in the tissues in and around the oral cavity. When oral cancer isn’t treated in the earlier stages, it could lead to devastating symptoms that could put one’s life in danger.
Causes and Symptoms of oral cancer
Oral cancer is most often caused due to habits such as chewing tobacco or smoking cigarettes. Tobacco contains hundreds of carcinogens that can give rise to and promote the growth of cancer cells. Soft tissues that come in contact with these cancerous elements could get infected.
Some of the sommon symptoms of oral cancer
- Cysts and lesions on the soft tissues in and around the oral cavity.
- Tissue decay that is caused due to cancerous growth.
- A burning sensation in the mouth whenever patients eat hot or spicy foods.
- Darkening of the infected tissues compared to the surrounding tissues.
- Formation of sores that can lead to the release of pus.
- Numbness in the infected tissues. Also, there could be severe pain while chewing or swallowing food.
Oral cancer screening
Oral cancer screening includes a few procedures that are aimed at detecting the presence of cancer when it is in the early stages. The longer patients wait to get oral cancer treated, the lesser the chances of being cured of the disease. Hence, we recommend our patients get screened for oral cancer on a periodic basis so that the presence of cancer can be found out in the initial stages.
We use certain dental equipment called the CDx and VELscope to extract the tissues. In case the dentist suspects the cancerous growth of tissues in the larynx and pharynx, an intraoral camera will be used to view the tissues. If the presence of cancer is confirmed, we would go ahead with the treatment procedures. Patients who observe any of the above-stated symptoms can reach out to us and undergo an oral cancer screening process.
Call us at (850) 763-4545 or schedule an online appointment with Arzu Ersoy, D.M.D. and we’ll be able to guide you further.